Like everyone else on this planet, I have a cell phone. Nothing special about that. While I have it on me and switched on, I can be reached everywhere and always. No surprises here too. However, what many people do not realize, is that this omnireachability can seriously deform you. It starts very subtly, but when it is left undiagnosed for too long it will cause serious social and behavioural deformation.
Early symptoms of the omnireachability syndrome are:
- breaking into a cold sweat when you suddenly realize that you forgot to switch on your cell phone,
- having slight feelings of doubt when switching off your cell phone.
- always leaving your phone switched on and on a loud ring setting no matter where you are or what you are doing,
- always answering any call even in the middle of a meeting (not feeling bothered when witnessing such behaviour basically comes down to the same symptom...),
- getting into a serious panic after discovering that your cell phone's battery has less than 5 minutes worth of power left while having no opportunity of recharging it for the next hour or so,
- feeling very restless and being unable to focus when you suddenly realize that you have left your cell phone somewhere,
- feeling light headed at the thought of having to switch off your cell phone (and fainting when accidentally switching it off).